Philosophy and Objectives of Our School
St. Joseph’s School is committed to an educational program, which strives to provide academic excellence and to foster the total formation of the person.
We aim to integrate the different aspects of knowledge in the light of the teachings of Jesus Christ as taught and lived in the Roman Catholic Church.
We work to build an awareness of self within the community. We encourage and develop the growth of each person as a Christian.
St Joseph's is a Catholic School on the traditional territory of the Wet’suwet’en and part of the Diocese of Prince George's school system. The building of the school began in 1958 on two lots on First Avenue. When the school first opened, there were about 200 students, many from Witset.
The school building remained unchanged until 1966 when there was the addition of two new classrooms and the hallway leading to the French room which housed showers, a nurse’s station, a classroom, and two washrooms. Read more.
Truth and Reconcilation
As part of the Diocese of Prince George, we share and stand by the words of Bishop Stephen Jensen who says in his 15 June 2021, "It was certainly wrong of the Church to cooperate in policies that aimed to deny native children their language and culture and destroyed their family life. Even worse, members of the Church committed abuse on innocent children entrusted to their care, which was an assault on the human dignity of these students. These crimes were a betrayal of the faith and the religious vows of the perpetrators...In the hope of contributing to that [reconciliation and healing], on behalf of the diocese I add my own sincere regret and apology to those who suffered and continue to suffer the effects of the residential schools and ask their forgiveness for our failures."
Going forward along with the bishop we and "The diocese remains committed to the path of reconciliation with those who have suffered and to a continuing dialogue with First Nations’ leadership".
To report abuse please click here
As a staff, we are dedicated and committed to working with you to provide the best educational opportunities possible. It is our belief that each student is entitled to an environment and experiences that foster an education founded in Christ.
- Principal: Hayden Drygas
- Preschool: Vanessa Beaubien
- Kindergarten: Cara Polanin / Jill McDonald
- Grade 1: Shannon Wellington
- Grade 2: Jennifer Mitchell
- Grade 3: Erin Brienesse
- Grade 4: Lexie Wilson
- Grade 5: Liz Creyke / Carlene Dingwall
- Grade 6: Nikki Twigge / Hayden Drygas
- Grade 7: Madison Lundberg
- Learning resource teacher: Karolina Bolton
- French: Thomas Watkins
- Music: Colin Maskell
- Library, French and Bookkeeping: Christine Tessier
- Education Assistants: Kylee Arpin, Barb Bawlf, Joanne Boot, Margaret Buenten, Katherine Chystall, Jake Currie, Cathy Doyle, Debbie Leach, Jill McDonald, Nancy Verbeek, Shanualea Vliegenthart
- School Administrative Assistants: Terry Widen / Arlene McGibbon
- Lunch Hour Supervisor: Claudia Busatto
- After School Care: Claudia Busatto
- Maintenance: Michel Bernier
- School Council Members: 2020/2021
- Chairperson: Donna Schibli
- Secretary: Linda Rosner
- Treasurer: Bina Tucker
- Pastor: Fr Jack Michalchuk
Every parent is a member of the PSG. The PSG is active in the school, running a weekly hot lunch program and spearheading initiatives such as playground improvement and purchases of classroom resources. Interested?
This year’s PSG executive:
- Chairperson: Julie Chaplin
- Vice Chairperson: tba
- Secretary: Monica Howard
- Treasurer: Seonaid Davis
- Hot Lunch Coordinator: Angie Souter
View the policies of the Catholic Independant Schools of Prince George.learn more...
St. Joseph’s School has had a long, interesting history.learn more...